Just click here!
Just click here!
You login to your laptop first thing Monday morning, there is an urgent email from Dan, your boss and he wants you to click on the attached link and complete a time sensitive transaction.
He is grumpy at the best of times, so you do it straight away and immediately your system freezes and you are faced with this message
What ? Bitcoin? What have you done? Why is nothing working?
What do you do next?
Ransomware is exactly that, it holds you, and your precious business data and intellectual property literally to ransom. New Zealand’s geographical distance is no defence, we are just as easily accessible, and we pay the same amount of Bitcoin (an international and untraceable cyber currency) as everyone else in the world.
There are two types of businesses: those that have been subject to attack or those that don’t know it yet. Don’t make the mistake of thinking you are not a valid target. Small businesses are considered low hanging fruit, an easy target for hackers.
New Zealand Businesses have been targeted and succumbed to WannaCry, but reporting is not mandatory. It is estimated that there are 200 cyber-attacks on New Zealand Business every day and this number is growing quickly.
The average Bitcoin demand starts at $300 and goes up from there. Sure, you can pay it, but what if you can’t get your data back? Can your business continue trading?
Cyber Insurance is the fastest growing insurance product for a good reason, in 2015, claims costs including IT Forensic experts to restore your systems and data, Random Costs and ongoing monitoring and loss of your business’s time and profit averaged $40,000. In 2016, this figure grew to $65,000.
How we can help
There are some simple tips that you can take before an attack happens.
- Get a cyber expert to audit your systems. Find your vulnerabilities and fix them.
- Have a plan. What would you do if you were faced with the picture above? Who would you call?
- Keep your systems, anti-virus and firewalls up to date and consider continuous monitoring for critical systems.
- Educate your Staff, show them the signs to look out for and agree on robust protocols to respond to urgent email requests.
- Back. Up. Your. Data. Off Site or on the Cloud or both. Daily and make sure you can restore it within hours. Not days.
- Buy Cyber Insurance. After Natural Disaster, it is the single largest risk facing small business in New Zealand.
Donaldson Brown Insurance Brokers are the insurance partner to BHW and take a unique approach to your business.
They can offer full cyber security audit services, continuous monitoring and specialist cutting-edge antivirus software, cyber insurance and data protection insurance that is not currently available on the open market empowering your business to face this risk head on and in control.
If you want more information or would like to discuss this article further please contact your account manager or contact us on the link below and we'll set up a time to talk with our Cyber Risk Specialist.